Division of Nephrology
Message from the Chief
Message from the Chief
Dear Division Members,
I am pleased to announce the launch of our new division newsletter, which will be a quarterly publication dedicated to sharing updates, insights, and news from our division with all members.
These are exciting times in Nephrology, with the advent of new diagnostic tools and novel therapies. As we continue to grow, it is important to stay connected and informed about how our division is contributing to these exciting developments within our field. The newsletter will serve as a platform to showcase the latest research and discoveries, new clinical programs, recent accomplishments of our members and provide resources and opportunities to enhance our professional growth and development.
We are committed to ensuring that the newsletter is engaging, informative, and reflective of the diverse interests and perspectives of our members. In future editions, we will have a spotlights dedicated to specific faculty members, fellows or administrators, and will get updates on graduates of our program.
Ali Gharavi, MD
Jay Meltzer Professor of Nephrology and Hypertension
Interim Chair, Department of Medicine
Chief, Division of Nephrology
Dr. Ali Gharavi starts his appointment as interim chair of medicine
Dr. Ali Gharavi, MD, Professor of Medicine at VP&S, chief of the Division of Nephrology, founding director of the Center for Precision Medicine and Genomics, and interim director of the Institute for Genomic Medicine, will serve as interim Chair of Medicine beginning in April.
PEAK: Patient Education in Advanced Kidney Diseases
The Program for Education in Advanced Kidney Disease (PEAK) has been designed to help patients learn about their kidney health and receive the best care from a dedicated team of people. In partnership with the Rogosin Institute, PEAK program was extended to the CUIMC campus on January 2023.
Our fellowship had another strong recruitment year, and as a testament to our continued growth as a division we successfully petitioned the hospital and ACGME to expand our fellowship cohort from 7 to 8 fellows total, starting with the incoming class.
Many thanks to Jake Stevens, Maya Rao, Ali Husain, John Crew, Andrew Bomback and Jae Chang who participated in residency program interviews and contributed to a great match outcome
Columbia Nephrology is going to New Jersey! Starting in May 2023, we are expanding our practice to Bergen County, NJ.
Stay tuned for updates on relaunching the regional citrate anticoagulation protocol for CRRT in the coming months.
We want to thank everyone for their involvement in Columbia Medicine CME events. https://www.columbiamedicinecme.org/
Faculty Spotlight: Dr. Sumit Mohan
Awards & Recognitions
- Promoted to medical director of kidney transplant program
- Dec 2022: Best of AJKD for article “ Impact of Extending Eligibility for Reinstatement of Waiting Time After Early Allograft Failure: A Decision Analysis.”
- Oct 2022: Best of ASN Publications for the article “Declined offers for deceased donor kidneys are not an independent reflection of organ quality”
- Jul 2023 – Jun 2024: Co-Chair, American Society of Transplantation Research Network Review Committee
- Jul 2022 – Jun 2024: Chair, Organ Procurement and Transplantation Network (OPTN)/United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS) Data Advisory Committee
- Sep 2022 – May 2026: Towards rapid measurement of antibiotics in critical care setting NIBIB – R01 EB032910. Role: MPI (Stojanovic/Mohan/Lin/Cremer)
- April 2023: Reducing Kidney discards and improving utilization of marginal organs, NKF SCM 2023.
- Oct 2022: Challenges in access to Kidney Transplantation in the United States, Division of Special Populations, Center for Medicare and Medicaid Innovation (CMMI)
Publications1. *Schold JD, Huml AM, Husain SA, Poggio ED, Buchalter RB, Lopez R, Kaplan B, Mohan S. Deceased Donor Kidneys from Higher Distressed Communities are Significantly Less Likely to be Utilized for Transplantation. Am J Transplant. 2023 Mar 29. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 37001643.
2. Mohan S, Yu M, King Kl, Husain SA. Increasing discards as an unintended consequence of recent changes in kidney allocation policy. Kidney Int Rep. Accepted
3. McCulloh I, Stewart D, Kiernan K, Yazicioglu F, Patsolic H, Zinner C, Mohan S, Cartwright L. An experiment on the impact of predictive analytics on kidney offer acceptance decisions. Am J Transplant. 2023 Mar 21:S1600-6135(23)00353-2. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 36958629.
4. Snyder JJ, Schaffhausen CR, Hart A, Axelrod DA, Dils D, Formica RN Jr, Gaber AO, Hunt HF, Jones J, Mohan S, Patzer RE, Pinney SP, Ratner LE, Slaker D, Stewart D, Stewart ZA, Van Slyck S, Kasiske BL, Hirose R, Israni AK. Stakeholders’ Perspectives on Transplant Metrics: The 2022 Scientific Registry of Transplant Recipients’ Consensus Conference. Am J Transplant. 2023 Mar 21:S1600-6135(23)00355-6. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 36958628. 5. King KL, Yu M, Husain SA, Patzer RE, Sandra V, Reese PP, Schold JD, Mohan S. Contribution of Estimates of Glomerular Filtration to the Extensive Disparities in Preemptive Listing for Kidney Transplant. Kidney Int Rep. 2022 Dec 30;8(3):442-454. doi: 10.1016/j.ekir.2022.12.021. PMID: 36938099; PMCID: PMC10014377 6. Reese PP, Doshi MD, Hall IE, Besharatian B, Bromberg JS, Thiessen-Philbrook H, Jia Y, Kamoun M, Mansour SG, Akalin E, Harhay MN, Mohan S, Muthukumar T, Schröppel B, Singh P, Weng FL, Parikh CR. Deceased-Donor Acute Kidney Injury and Acute Rejection in Kidney Transplant Recipients: A Multicenter Cohort. Am J Kidney Dis. 2023 Feb;81(2):222-231.e1. Epub 2022 Oct 1. PMID: 36191727.
7. *Puttarajappa CM, Hariharan S, Zhang X, Tevar A, Mehta R, Gunabushanam V, Sood P, Hoffman W, Mohan S. Early Effect of the Circular Model of Kidney Allocation in the United States. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2023 Jan 1;34(1):ASN.2022040471. Epub 2022 Oct 27. PMID: 36302599
8. *Schold JD, Nordyke RJ, Wu Z, Corvino F, Wang W, Mohan S. Clinical Events and Renal Function in the First Year Predict Long-Term Kidney Transplant Survival. Kidney360. 2022 Jan 25;3(4):714-727. PMID: 35721618
9. *Li MT, Ramakrishnan A, Yu M, Daniel E, Sandra V, Sanichar N, King KL, Stevens JS, Husain SA, Mohan S. Effects of Delayed Graft Function on Transplant Outcomes: A Meta-analysis. Transplant Direct. 2023 Jan 12;9(2):e1433. PMID: 36700066.
10. Liu RX, Koyawala N, Thiessen-Philbrook HR, Doshi MD, Reese PP, Hall IE, Mohan S, Parikh CR. Untargeted metabolomics of perfusate and their association with hypothermic machine perfusion and allograft failure. Kidney Int. 2022 Dec 20:S0085-2538(22)01038-9. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 36549364.
10. *Husain SA, King KL, Cron DC, Lentine KL, Adler JT, Mohan S. Influence of organ quality on the observed association between deceased donor kidney procurement biopsy findings and graft survival. Am J Transplant. 2022 Dec;22(12):2842-2854. Epub 2022 Aug 25. PMID: 35946600.
11. Patzer RE, Di M, Zhang R, McPherson L, DuBay DA, Ellis M, Wolf J, Jones H, Zayas C, Mulloy L, Reeves-Daniel A, Mohan S, Perez AC, Trivedi AN, Pastan SO; Southeastern Kidney Transplant Coalition. Referral and Evaluation for Kidney Transplantation Following Implementation of the 2014 National Kidney Allocation System. Am J Kidney Dis. 2022 Dec;80(6):707-717. Epub 2022 Mar 14. PMID: 35301050.
12. *Husain SA, Stevens JS, King KL, Robbins-Juarez SY, Cohen M, Lyashchenko AK, Cremers S, Mohan S. Timed Creatinine Clearance and Measured Glomerular Filtration Rate in Living Kidney Donors. Kidney Med. 2022 Nov 17;5(1):100572. PMID: 36713309.
13. Geetha D, Kronbichler A, Rutter M, Bajpai D, Menez S, Weissenbacher A, Anand S, Lin E, Carlson N, Sozio S, Fowler K, Bignall R, Ducharlet K, Tannor EK, Wijewickrama E, Hafidz MIA, Tesar V, Hoover R, Crews D, Varnell C, Danziger-Isakov L, Jha V, Mohan S, Parikh C, Luyckx V. Impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the kidney community: lessons learned and future directions. Nat Rev Nephrol. 2022 Nov;18(11):724-737. Epub 2022 Aug 24. PMID: 36002770.
14. Pinsino A, Fabbri M, Braghieri L, Bohn B, Gaudig AJ, Kim A, Takeda K, Naka Y, Sayer GT, Uriel N, Demmer RT, Faillace RT, Husain SA, Mohan S, Colombo PC, Yuzefpolskaya M. The difference between cystatin C- and creatinine-based assessment of kidney function in acute heart failure. ESC Heart Fail. 2022 Oct;9(5):3139-3148. Epub 2022 Jun 27. PMID: 35762103.
15. *Husain SA, King KL, Owen-Simon NL, Fernandez HE, Ratner LE, Mohan S. Access to kidney transplantation among pediatric candidates with prior solid organ transplants in the United States. Pediatr Transplant. 2022 Sep;26(6):e14303. Epub 2022 May 26. PMID: 35615911.
16. *Yu K, Husain SA, Stevens Js, Parikh CR, Mohan S. Kidney nonprocurement in deceased donors with acute kidney injury. Clin Transplant. 2022 Aug 4:e14788. PMID 35924345
17. *Schold JD, Huml AM, Poggio ED, Reese PP, Mohan S. A tool for decision-making in kidney transplant candidates with poor prognosis to receive deceased donor transplantation in the United States. Kidney Int. 2022 Sep;102(3):640-651. Epub 2022 Jun 26. PMID: 35760150.
Welcome to the new class of nephrology fellows
It is with great pleasure that we welcome the new class of nephrology fellows on July 2023. These talented individuals will be joining us to specialize in the field of nephrology, bringing their unique skills and knowledge to our team. The General Nephrology fellows include Natasha Freeman, Joshua Herbert, Benjamin Horowitz, and Jee (Joseph) Kim, while Ben Wooden will be specializing in Glomerular Disease. Sami Droubi and Jeremy Awori will be focusing on Transplantation. We are excited to have these fellows on board and look forward to working alongside them as they embark on this new chapter in their careers.
Dr. Benjamin Wooden publishes in CJASN
Dr. Benjamin Wooden published an article about 'The Role of Anti-B Cell Activating Factor Therapy for Treating Lupus Nephritis' with Dr. Radhakrishnan. CJASN 17: 1583–1585, 2022. doi: https://doi.org/10.2215/CJN.11340922.
Dr. Anna Krieger Publishes in kidney360
Dr. Anna Krieger published an article titled 'A Pilot Randomized Controlled Trial of Integrated Palliative Care and Nephrology Care.' Kidney360. 2022 Aug 12;3(10):1720-1729. doi: 10.34067/KID.0000352022.
Congratulations to Dr. soumya rajendren!
Dr. Soumya Rajendren will be joining the Division of Nephrology at New York University!
Congratulations to Dr. Mark Elliot!
Dr. Mark Elliott, our kidney precision medicine fellow, is taking a position as Clinical Associate Professor at the University of British Columbia where he will develop a kidney precision program.
Congratulations to Dr. Anna Krieger!
Dr. Anna Krieger tied the knot with her partner on 9/3/2022.
Awards & Recognitions
Dr. Jordan Nestor receives 2023 emerging-generation awards from American society for clinical investigation
In 2010, APOL1 G1/G2 risk alleles were found to be associated with higher risk for kidney disease among individuals of West and sub-Saharan African ancestry. This led Dr. Nestor to pursue the mentorship of Dr. Ali Gharavi and Dr. Krzysztof Kiryluk. Her goal is to become an NIH-funded biomedical informatics researcher and serve underrepresented patient communities. In June 2020, Dr. Nestor completed 8 years of post-graduate clinical training to become an expert in kidney genomics. Her research is focused on the development of automated decision support tools in the EHR that will help make clinical genomics more accessible to general nephrologists at the point of care, and enhance opportunities for understudied and underserved patient populations to receive more personalized nephrology care.
Discarded deceased donor kidneys have increased since 2018
The number of discarded deceased donor kidneys has increased in the US since 2018, according to a study by Dr. Sumit Mohan and Dr. Ali Husain mentioned in Healio. The increase occurred across all age groups and most donor profile indexes, including the revised allocation system. Read more here: https://www.healio.com/news/nephrology/20230317/discarded-deceased-donor-kidneys-have-increased-since-2018
Dr. Thomas Nickolas was Elected 2025 and 2027 Gordon Conference Program Chair for meetings on Phosphate Pathobiology
Dr. Prakash-Polet was given ASDIN Vascular Access Mentorship Program Award
Dr. Ali Gharavi was featured in a Nature Outlook Article entitled "The genetic revolution transforming kidney disease"
Genetic testing is becoming an essential tool for kidney disease specialists in identifying the causes of chronic kidney disease (CKD) and providing guidance for treatment, as well as reproductive genetic counseling. Researchers estimate that genetic testing has a significant impact on about half of people with kidney disease, changing their treatment or transplant pathway. While the role of genetics in CKD is less understood, research has identified certain well-characterized genetic variants that substantially contribute to the risk of CKD in an individual, such as mutations in the COL4A1, PKD1 or PKD2, APOL1 and HNF1B genes. The presence of a variant does not necessarily mean an individual will develop severe CKD, and genetic testing can help diagnose and treat the disease earlier, potentially delaying or preventing the worst outcomes.
Dr. Ali Gharavi was featured in USA Today: "The claim: Rubbing your ears will improve kidney health"
Dr. Ali Gharavi, chief of the nephrology division at NewYork-Presbyterian and Columbia University Irving Medical Center, told USA TODAY he was “very surprised” by the claim linking ear exercises and kidney health. Some rare conditions can affect both kidney function and hearing, Gharavi said. There are also some medications or toxins that can harm the kidneys and cause hearing loss. “However, there is no evidence that changes in ear function impact kidney function."
Advocating for Inclusion: Dr. Maya Sabatello Discusses the Importance of Including Adults with Intellectual Disabilities in Clinical Trials
Dr. Maya Sabatello, a leading bioethicist and disability rights advocate, was recently interviewed by Urte Fultinaviciute for an article published by GlobalData Healthcare. The article, titled "Inclusion of Adults with Intellectual Disability in Clinical Trials," explores the importance of ensuring clinical trials are inclusive and accessible to individuals with cognitive disabilities. https://www.clinicaltrialsarena.com/features/trial-diversity-cognitive-disability/
Dr. Maya Sabatello joins the ASHG Professional Practice and Social Implications Committee
Dr. Gerald Appel received the 2023 healthcare Hero Award from the National Kidney Foundation of NY
Dr. Maya Rao is the site PI for multicenter RCT: "Best Case/Worst Case: A multisite Randomized Clinical Trial of Scenario Planning for Patients with End-Stage Kidney Disease"
The trial is evaluating the use of a visual aid that has been tested in the surgical consent process for elderly and frail patients needing to make the decision about dialysis versus medical management. Our nephrologists have been randomized to use or not use the tool and then patients who have factors that portend a poor prognosis on dialysis are enrolled. We are the 3rd highest enroller of 11 site.
Dr. Andrew Bomback authors "Long Days, Short Years: A cultural history of modern parenting"
Drawing on parenting books, mommy blogs, and historical accounts of parental duties as well as novels, films, podcasts, television shows, and his own experiences as a parent, Bomback charts the cultural history of parenting as a skill to be mastered, from the laid-back Dr. Spock’s 1950s childcare bible—in some years outsold only by the actual Bible—to the more rigid training schedules of Babywise. Along the way, he considers the high costs of commercialized parenting (from the babymoon on), the pressure on mothers to have it all (and do it all), scripted parenting as laid out in How to Talk So Kids Will Listen, parenting during a pandemic, and much more.
New Hires And Promotions
Dr. Sumit Mohan to be the next medical director of kidney transplant program
Congratulations to Dr. Sumit Mohan, MD, MPH, for his recent promotion to Medical Director of our Kidney Transplantation Program. A Professor of Medicine & Epidemiology, Dr. Mohan’s career has focused on reducing health disparities and improving outcomes for patients with kidney disease. Dr. David Cohen will continue to be part of the Kidney Transplant Program as the Director Emeritus.
Dr. Thomas Nickolas was promoted to professor of medicine at CUMC
Dr. Geoffrey Dube promoted to associate professor of medicine at CUMC
Drs. Vladimir Mushaloiv, Mariela Navarro-Torres, and Sindhuri Prakash-Polet will be joining Faculty in July 2023
Welcome Andrew Morales, our new clinical research coordinator in CKD-MBD
Structures of LRP2 reveal a molecular machine for endocytosis
Structures of full-length native mouse LRP2 reveal that it is a homodimer that undergoes dramatic pH-dependent structural transitions that renders it ligand-receptive at the cell surface and ligand-shedding in endosomes. Beenken et al., 2023, Cell 186, 821–836
Clinical and Genetic Characteristics of CKD Patients with High-Risk APOL1 Genotypes
In this genetically matched cohort, high-risk APOL1 genotypes were associated with an increased risk of kidney failure and eGFR decline rate, with a graded risk between specific high-risk genotypes and a lower rate of monogenic kidney disease. Rare missense variants in the inflammasome pathway may act as genetic modifiers of APOL1 effect on kidney disease. Elliot et al., J Am Soc Nephrol. 2023 Feb 9.
Comprehensive Associations between Acidosis and the Skeleton in Patients with Kidney Disease
Metabolic acidosis is associated with multiple impairments in bone quality. Future work should examine whether correction of acidosis improves bone quality and strength in patients with CKD. Levy et al., J Am Soc Nehprology. April 2023
- Elliott MD, Rasouly HM, Gharavi AG. Genetics of Kidney Disease: The Unexpected Role of Rare Disorders. Annu Rev Med. 2023 Jan 27;74:353-367. doi: 10.1146/annurev-med-042921-101813. Epub 2022 Nov 14. PMID: 36375470.
- Verbitsky M, Krishnamurthy S, Krithivasan P, Hughes D, Khan A, Marasà M, Vena N, Khosla P, Zhang J, Lim TY, Glessner JT, Weng C, Shang N, Shen Y, Hripcsak G, Hakonarson H, Ionita-Laza I, Levy B, Kenny EE, Loos RJF, Kiryluk K, Sanna-Cherchi S, Crosslin DR, Furth S, Warady BA, Igo RP Jr, Iyengar SK, Wong CS, Parsa A, Feldman HI, Gharavi AG. Genomic Disorders in CKD across the Lifespan. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2022 Oct 27. doi: 10.1681/ASN.2022060725. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 36302597.
- Liu L, Khan A, Sanchez-Rodriguez E, Zanoni F, Li Y, Steers N, Balderes O, Zhang J, Krithivasan P, LeDesma RA, Fischman C, Hebbring SJ, Harley JB, Moncrieffe H, Kottyan LC, Namjou-Khales B, Walunas TL, Knevel R, Raychaudhuri S, Karlson EW, Denny JC, Stanaway IB, Crosslin D, Rauen T, Floege J, Eitner F, Moldoveanu Z, Reily C, Knoppova B, Hall S, Sheff JT, Julian BA, Wyatt RJ, Suzuki H, Xie J, Chen N, Zhou X, Zhang H, Hammarström L, Viktorin A, Magnusson PKE, Shang N, Hripcsak G, Weng C, Rundek T, Elkind MSV, Oelsner EC, Barr RG, Ionita-Laza I, Novak J, Gharavi AG, Kiryluk K. Genetic regulation of serum IgA levels and susceptibility to common immune, infectious, kidney, and cardio-metabolic traits. Nat Commun. 2022 Nov 11;13(1):6859. doi: 10.1038/s41467-022-34456-6. Erratum in: Nat Commun. 2023 Feb 6;14(1):655. PMID: 36369178; PMCID: PMC9651905.
- Rasouly HM, Balderes O, Marasa M, Fernandez H, Lipton M, Lin F, Gharavi AG, Sabatello M. The effect of genetic education on the referral of patients to genetic evaluation: Findings from a national survey of nephrologists. Genet Med. 2023 Feb 12;25(5):100814. doi: 10.1016/j.gim.2023.100814. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 36789889.
- Thomas CP, Daloul R, Lentine KL, Gohh R, Anand PM, Rasouly HM, Sharfuddin AA, Schlondorff JS, Rodig NM, Freese ME, Garg N, Lee BK, Caliskan Y. Genetic evaluation of living kidney donor candidates: a review and recommendations for best practices. Am J Transplant. 2023 Mar 1;. doi: 10.1016/j.ajt.2023.02.020. [Epub ahead of print] Review. PubMed PMID: 36868514.
- Kapur, S.L. Sabatello, M. People with Disability and Privacy in Precision Medicine Research: What’s at Stake? (Trends in Genetics, Jan. 2023)
- Sabatello M., Martschenko DO, Cho MK, Brothers KB. Data sharing and community-engaged research. Science. 2022 Oct 14;378(6616):141-143. doi: 10.1126/science.abq6851. Epub 2022 Oct 13. PMID: 36227983.
- Lemke AA, Esplin ED, Goldenberg AJ, Gonzaga-Jauregui C, Hanchard NA, Harris-Wai J, Ideozu JE, Isasi R, Landstrom AP, Prince AER, Turbitt E, Sabatello M, Schrier Vergano SA, Taylor MRG, Yu JH, Brothers KB, Garrison NA. Addressing underrepresentation in genomics research through community engagement. Am J Hum Genet. 2022 Sep 1;109(9):1563-1571. doi: 10.1016/j.ajhg.2022.08.005. PMID: 36055208; PMCID: PMC9502069.
- McDonald, K., Schwartz, A., Sabatello, M. Eligibility Criteria in NIH-funded Clinical Trials: Can Adults with Intellectual Disability Get In? Disabil Health J. 2022 Aug 20:101368. doi: 10.1016/j.dhjo.2022.101368. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 36123292.
- Chang JH, Mushailov V, Mohan S. Obesity and kidney transplantation. Curr Opin Organ Transplant. 2023 Apr 1;28(2):149-155. doi: 10.1097/MOT.0000000000001050. Epub 2023 Jan 31. PMID: 36752277.
- Stevens JS, Hastie JM, Spellman J, Mittel A, Beck J, Mullin DA, Fung K, Argenziano M, Takayama H, Radhakrishnan J. Optimizing Perioperative Renal Replacement Therapy for Patients Undergoing Cardiac Surgical Procedures Requiring Cardiopulmonary Bypass. Blood Purif. 2022 Jul 25:1-7. doi: 10.1159/000525837. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 35878582.
- Ogami T, Zimmermann E, Zhu RC, Zhao Y, Ning Y, Kurlansky P, Stevens JS, Avgerinos DV, Patel VI, Takayama H. Proximal aortic repair in dialysis patients: A national database analysis. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2023 Jan;165(1):31-39.e5. doi: 10.1016/j.jtcvs.2021.02.086. Epub 2021 Feb 27. PMID: 33812684.
- Fakhouri F, Schwotzer N, Cabiddu G, Barratt J, Legardeur H, Garovic V, Orozco-Guillen A, Wetzels J, Daugas E, Moroni G, Noris M, Audard V, Praga M, Llurba E, Wuerzner G, Attini R, Desseauve D, Zakharova E, Luders C, Wiles K, Leone F, Jesudason S, Costedoat-Chalumeau N, Kattah A, Soto-Abraham V, Karras A, Prakash J, Lightstone L, Ronco P, Ponticelli C, Appel G, Remuzzi G, Tsatsaris V, Piccoli GB. Glomerular diseases in pregnancy: pragmatic recommendations for clinical management. Kidney Int. 2023 Feb;103(2):264-281. doi: 10.1016/j.kint.2022.10.029. Epub 2022 Dec 5. PMID: 36481180.
- Coscia, Cohen, Dube, Hofman, Moritz, Gattis and Basu. Outcomes with Belatacept exposure during pregnancy in kidney transplant recipients: a case series. In process at Transplantation.
- McCune K, Owen-Simon N, Dube GK, Ratner LE. The best insulin delivery is a human pancreas. Clin Transplant. 2023 Jan 26:e14920. doi: 10.1111/ctr.14920. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 36700663.
- Dube GK, Batal I, Shah L, Robbins H, Arcasoy SM, Husain SA. BK DNAemia and native kidney polyomavirus nephropathy following lung transplantation. Am J Transplant. 2023 Feb;23(2):284-290. doi: 10.1016/j.ajt.2022.11.007. Epub 2023 Jan 12. PMID: 36804135.
- Jennifer S Scherer, Megan E Rau, Anna Krieger, Yuhe Xia, Hua Zhong, Abraham Brody, David M Charytan, Joshua Chodosh; A Pilot Randomized Controlled Trial of Integrated Palliative Care and Nephrology Care. Kidney360. 2022 Oct 27
- Ahram DF, Lim TY, Ke J, Jin G, Verbitsky M, Bodria M, Kil BH, Chatterjee D, Piva SE, Marasa M, Zhang JY, Cocchi E, Caridi G, Gucev Z, Lozanovski VJ, Pisani I, Izzi C, Savoldi G, Gnutti B, Capone VP, Morello W, Guarino S, Esposito P, Lambert S, Radhakrishnan J, Appel GB, Uy NS, Rao MK, Canetta PA, Bomback AS, Nestor JG, Hays T, Cohen DJ, Finale Na C, van Wijk JAE, La Scola C, Baraldi O, Tondolo F, Di Renzo D, Jamry-Dziurla A, Pezzutto A, Manca V, Mitrotti A, Santoro D, Conti G, Martino M, Giordano M, Gesualdo L, Zibar L, Masnata G, Bonomini M, Alberti D, La Manna G, Caliskan Y, Ranghino A, Marzuillo P, Kiryluk K, Krzemień G, Miklaszewska M, Lin F, Montini G, Scolari F, Fiaccadori E, Arapović A, Saraga M, McKiernan J, Alam S, Zaniew M, Szczepańska M, Szmigielska A, Sikora P, Drożdż D, Mizerska-Wasiak M, Mane S, Lifton RP, Tasic V, Latos-Bielenska A, Gharavi AG, Ghiggeri GM, Materna-Kiryluk A, Westland R, Sanna-Cherchi S. Rare Single Nucleotide and Copy Number Variants and the Etiology of Congenital Obstructive Uropathy: Implications for Genetic Diagnosis. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2023 Mar 30. doi: 10.1681/ASN.0000000000000132. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 36995132.
- Canetta P. Right Heart, Wronged Kidneys. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2023 Mar 29. doi: 10.2215/CJN.0000000000000154. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 36988331.
- Kallash M, Wang Y, Smith A, Trachtman H, Gbadegesin R, Nester C, Canetta P, Wang C, Hunley TE, Sperati CJ, Selewski D, Ayoub I, Srivastava T, Mottl AK, Kopp J, Gillespie B, Robinson B, Chen D, Steinke J, Twombley K, Reidy K, Mucha K, Greenbaum LA, Blazius B, Helmuth M, Yonatan P, Parekh RS, Hogan S, Royal V, D’Agati V, Chishti A, Falk R, Gharavi A, Holzman L, Klein J, Smoyer W, Kretzler M, Gipson D, Kidd JM; CureGN*. Rapid Progression of Focal Segmental Glomerulosclerosis in Patients with High-Risk APOL1 Genotypes. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2023 Mar 1;18(3):344-355. doi: 10.2215/CJN.0000000000000069. Epub 2023 Feb 8. PMID: 36763813.
- Krissberg JR, O’Shaughnessy MM, Smith AR, Helmuth ME, Almaani S, Aviles DH, Brathwaite KE, Cai Y, Cattran D, Gbadegesin R, Glenn DA, Greenbaum LA, Iragorri S, Jain K, Khalid M, Kidd J, Kopp J, Lafayette R, Lane JC, Lugani F, Nestor JG, Parekh RS, Reidy K, Selewski DT, Sethna CB, Sperati CJ, Tuttle K, Twombley K, Vasylyeva TL, Weaver DJ Jr, Wenderfer SE, Gibson K; CureGN Consortium. Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Acute Care Utilization Among Patients With Glomerular Disease. Am J Kidney Dis. 2023 Mar;81(3):318-328.e1. doi: 10.1053/j.ajkd.2022.08.010. Epub 2022 Oct 1. PMID: 36191724; PMCID: PMC9974571.
- Chen DP, Helmuth ME, Smith AR, Canetta PA, Ayoub I, Mucha K, Kallash M, Kopp JB, Gbadegesin R, Gillespie BW, Greenbaum LA, Parekh RS, Hunley TE, Sperati CJ, Selewski DT, Kidd J, Chishti A, Reidy K, Mottl AK, Gipson DS, Srivastava T, Twombley KE; CureGN Consortium. Age of Onset and Disease Course in Biopsy-Proven Minimal Change Disease: An Analysis From the Cure Glomerulonephropathy Network. Am J Kidney Dis. 2023 Jan 3:S0272-6386(23)00002-1. doi: 10.1053/j.ajkd.2022.11.012. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 36608921.
- Ravipati P, Freese RL, Royal V, Bu L, Canetta P, Gipson D, Kallash M, Kiryluk K, Nast C, Reich HN, Rheault MN, Saha M, Nachman PH; CureGN Consortium. Clinicopathologic Significance of Predominant Lambda Light Chain Deposition in IgA Nephropathy. Kidney Int Rep. 2022 Aug 17;7(11):2462-2473. doi: 10.1016/j.ekir.2022.08.003. PMID: 36531879; PMCID: PMC9751582.
- Canetta P. Disentangling a Case of Glomerulonephritis with Fibrils. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2022 Jul;17(7):1070-1072. doi: 10.2215/CJN.00630122. Epub 2022 Jun 2. PMID: 35654563; PMCID: PMC9269629.
- Rosen RJ, Stevens JS, Canetta PA, Siddall E. Polyuria due to Pressure Natriuresis in Venoarterial Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation. ASAIO J. 2022 Jul 1;68(7):e124-e127. doi: 10.1097/MAT.0000000000001594. Epub 2022 Sep 28. PMID: 34593678.
Dr. Ali Gharavi delivered the Brenner/Dirks Endowed Lecture on "Genetics of IgA Nephropathy" at the World Congress of Nephrology in Bangkok, Thailand.
Dr. Maya Sabatello delivered presentations titled: "Ableism and (Dis)Trust: Disability Ethics and Inclusion in Precision Medicine Research" at Oxford University on Feb. 21, 2023 & "Data Sharing and Community Engaged Research (CEnR): An Unpreventable Collision?" at NIH/NIEHS Seminar on March 9, 2023.
Dr. Sindhuri Prakash presented on "Thrombophilia And The Vascular Access" at ASDIN's 19th annual scientific meeting.
Presentations/CME Events at NKF Spring Clinical Meeting 2023 in Austin, TX
- Dr. Ali Gharavi: Genetics in Nephrology
- Dr. Jai Radhakrishnan: Late breaking abstract: Rapid and Sustained Proteinuria Reduction With Sparsentan in Immunoglobulin A Nephropathy (IgAN): PROTECT Study Interim Result
- Dr. Sumit Mohan: Reducing Kidney Discards and Improving Utilization of Marginal Organs
- Dr. Shayan Shirazian: Identifying the Patient, Making a Diagnosis and Selecting Treatments: Patient Challenges in CKD-aP
Oral & Poster Presentation at American Transplant Congress 2023
- Kristen King: “List Diving” to Allocate Kidneys to Lower Waitlist Priority Candidates.
- Brendan Emmons (medical student): Are Normal Kidneys Histologically Normal?: Prevalence Of Abnormal Implantation Biopsy Findings In Living Donor Kidneys.
- Sohil Khanna (medical student): Cold Ischemia Time (CIT), Pumping, and Delayed Graft Function (DGF) in Deceased Donor Kidney (DDK) Transplant: A Paired Kidney Analysis.
- Miko Yu: Discrepancies in Reported Outcomes Between National Kidney Transplant Data Registries in The United States.
- Ali Husain: Increasing Use of Kidneys in Multi-organ Transplants.
- Dr. Vladmir Mushailov: Frequency and Outcomes of BK Viremia after Simultaneous Heart Kidney Transplant: A Single Center Experience.
- Dr. Euclid St. Hill: Incidence and Impact of BK Viremia in Simultaneous Liver-Kidney Transplant Recipients.
- Miko Yu: Change in Organ Offer Volume and Bypass Filter Settings Under New Kidney Allocation System. American Transplant Congress. June 2023.
- Brendan Emmons (medical student): Presence of Retained Renal Cysts Does Not Impact Kidney Function Recovery After Living Kidney Donation.
Other Notable Presentations and Lectures
- Dr. Maya Sabatello: NHGRI, Disabling Structural Ableism, at NHGRI Symposium: Irreducible Subjects: Disability and Genomics in the Past, Present and Future, (Oct. 6-7, 2022)
Notable Grants Since July, 2022
Dr. Thomas Nickolas
1. R01DK134101 – Precision medicine approaches to renal osteodystrophy
2. R01FD007629 – Advancing Product Development for Hypoparathyroidism: A Prospective Natural History Study of the Clinical Outcomes and Regulation of Disordered Mineral Metabolism
3. R56DK127986 – Renal Osteodystrophy Precision Medicine Project
4. R01DK131811 – Bone In CKD Alkali Response Pilot Trial (BICARb Pilot Trial)
Dr. Sumit Mohan
1. Sep 2022 – May 2026: Towards rapid measurement of antibiotics in critical care setting NIBIB – R01 EB032910. Role: MPI (Stojanovic/Mohan/Lin/Cremer)
Dr. Maya Sabatello
1. R01 HD108701-01, K. McDonald & M. Sabatello, MPIs 07/2022-02/2027 NICHD & NHGRI Including Adults with Intellectual Disability in Precision Medicine Research – Project ENGAGE
2. R01HG010868-04S1, M. Sabatello (PI) 07/2022-06/2023 NHGRI Blind/Disability and Intersectional Biases in E-Health Records (EHRs) of Diabetes Patients: Building a Dialogue on Equity of AI/ML Models in Clinical Care
Dr. Hila Rasouly
1. K01 award: Advancing equitable implementation of genomic medicine in nephrology)